Moore & Van Allen and Moore & Van Allen’s Public Service Committee honored select Firm attorneys, staff, and community partners at its 12th annual Sally & Bill Van Allen Public Service Luncheon. Financial Services Associate Kimberly Zirkle received the hallmark 2013 Sally & Bill Van Allen Public Service Award for her commitment to public service in 2012.
- One of the largest law firms in the Southeast with nearly 300 attorneys and offices in Charlotte and Research Triangle, North Carolina and Charleston, South Carolina.
- Full-service law firm that serves local, national and international clients in a wide range of industries including: corporate, energy, financial services, health care, manufacturing and technology.
- The Firm was founded by Robert Lassiter, Jr. and James Moore. William Van Allen joined the firm in 1950 during the first year of operation. Click here to read more about the history of the Firm.
- MVA represents over half of the Fortune 1000 companies based in the Carolinas.
- The ratio of members to associates is approximately 2.0 to 1.0.
- Half of our members left prior firms to join MVA as lateral attorneys.
- MVA has achieved greater than a 35% increase in female representation and a 275% increase in minority representation since its Diversity Committee was formed thirteen years ago.
Rankings & Accolades
- Included in the U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings, both nationally and within the Charlotte, Charleston and Raleigh regions (2012-2013).
- Ranked second on Lawyers Weekly's list of North Carolina’s Top 25 Firms, based on total number of N.C. attorneys (2013).
- The only Charlotte-based law firm identified on the prestigious national Am Law 200.
- In 2013, ranked 155th largest firm in the country by 2012 gross revenue, and 105th for profits per partner.
- Recognized as an American Heart Association national Fit-Friendly Worksite (2013).
- Named a Business Leader of the Year by Business Leader magazine (2012).
- Named one of Charlotte's best law firms for five consecutive years by Corporate Board Member magazine (2011).
- Recognized by the Charlotte Business Journal as one of the "Best Places to Work" (2008- 2010).
- Consistently ranked within the top three firms nationally in documenting syndicated lending facilities.
- Recognized by the Charlotte Business Journal for sustainability initiatives at its annual “Green Awards” (2008, 2009).
- Received the Clean Air Works! Sustainable Award (2009).
- First law firm in the Carolinas to achieve the gold-level of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building rating system for the renovation of floor 33 in the Charlotte office.
- MVA attorneys actively participate in more than 200 boards and other community organizations.
- Collaborated with Legal Services of Southern Piedmont and Bank of America to establish the Hispanic Outreach Task Force to provide pro bono, consulting and legal education services to the Latino community.
- Led all Charlotte firms in raising associate salaries three times since 2000.
- Founding law firm member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association’s Legal Diversity Clerkship Program and a signatory to the Mecklenburg County Bar’s 2006 Initiative on Diversity.
- In 2000, a group of MVA attorneys, with the support of the Management Committee, initiated a dialogue about diversity, establishing an internal Diversity Committee.
- Instrumental in organizing the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce’s Black Professionals Network.
Moore & Van Allen aligned its community efforts with the establishment of the Public Service Committee in 2001. The Committee is an action-oriented group that seeks to identify, coordinate and facilitate public service and pro bono opportunities for our attorneys and staff. See individual attorney community service accolades here.
- MVA attorneys and staff recorded 6,280 public service hours and 3,838 pro bono hours in 2013.
- MVA has annually honored attorneys and staff for their commitment to public service for twelve consecutive years at the Sally & Bill Van Allen Public Service Luncheon.
- MVA attorneys provide pro bono representation to indigents, children, elderly and non-profit organizations in areas such as bankruptcy, domestic violence, guardianship, wills and estates, landlord-tenant disputes, non-profit management, real estate transactions and social security disability.
- Signed a 100-hour commitment to staff the Self Serve Center at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse though the Judicial Pro Se Project, an initiative of the local Judiciary and Court Administrators supported by the Mecklenburg County Bar and the Mecklenburg Bar Foundation.
- Honored with Safe Alliance's Commitment to Justice Award in recognition of the pro bono support provided through the Firm’s Domestic Violence Project (2012, 2013).
- Named the North Carolina Large Firm Legal Feeding Frenzy winner for raising 53,285 pounds of food in support of North Carolina’s Feeding America Food Banks (2013).
- Received the North Carolina Bar Association's Larger Law Firm Pro Bono Award (2012).
- nominated and named for commitment to pro bono efforts in partnership with Legal Aid of North Carolina and Legal Services of Southern Piedmont
- Received the Charlotte Business Journal's Corporate Volunteerism Award in the "Improving Our Schools" category (2010).