- B.S., Louisiana State University, 1974, magna cum laude
- J.D., North Carolina Central University, 1996, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1996
Other Areas of Law
Morrisville, NC 27560-6802
Arlene Hanks is the Managing Partner of Moore & Van Allen's Research Triangle Park office. Arlene, who also manages the Trademark Team, boasts extensive experience in domestic and international trademark prosecution and protection, and in copyright, intellectual property licensing and transactional work for diverse clients.
She aids clients in developing branding strategies, maximizing brand investment and protecting and policing brands globally, working with an extensive worldwide network of foreign counsel.
Ms. Hanks also assists clients in intellectual property licensing and establishing global inter-company licensing structures for corporate families. She also handles intellectual property disputes and conducts IP due diligence in mergers, acquisitions and credit facilities.
She serves as general trademark counsel for numerous global companies across a wide spectrum of industries, including:
- Hardware and security products
- Computer software, hardware and related products and services
- Pharmaceutical, biotechnical, medical and healthcare
- Clothing and apparel
- Banking and finance
- Print and broadcast media
- Stock car racing and entertainment
- Food products and services
- Included in Chambers Partners USA in North Carolina - Intellectual Property, 2016.
- Named in Managing Intellectual Property's inaugural "IP Stars – Top 250 Women in IP" guidebook, as one of the top 250 female intellectual property attorneys in the United States, 2013.
- Recognized as a recommended attorney within World Trademark Review 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2013-2016.
- "Arlene Hanks is an acclaimed all-arounder whose strategies for maximizing the value of a brand come widely recommended. WTR1000, 2016"
- Named a Raleigh Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America, 2013.
- Included in Best Lawyers in America for Trademark Law, 2012-2017.
- Included in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Recognized by Business Leader Media as a Mover & Shaker in North Carolina, 2010, acknowledging business leaders and professionals who fulfill a vital role in the success of their organizations and communities through leadership, creativity, innovation and imagination.
- Also recognized in 2010 as a Business Leader Media Women Extraordinaire winner.
- Included in Business North Carolina's Legal Elite list, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2014-2016.
- Recognized by BTI Consulting Group as one of 78 United States “BTI Client Service All-Star” attorneys, for delivering superior client service, from a survey of some 200 general counsels of Fortune 1000 Companies, 2001.
- C.L.E. faculty member, conducting seminars on trademarks and intellectual property.
- Best Lawyers® Recognizes 74 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- WTR 1000 Honors Hanks & IP Team
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 76 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- Research Triangle Office Moves to Perimeter Park
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 77 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- Managing IP Ranks Intellectual Property Practice
- Hanks to Present at IP Section Annual Meeting, March 2012
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association: Intellectual Property Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association