- Administrative Litigation & Government Enforcement Actions
- Energy Regulation & Dispute Resolution
- International Dispute Resolution, Regulatory Defense and Investigations
- Product Liability and Tort Litigation
- White Collar, Regulatory Defense, and Investigations
- B.A., University of Southern California, 1992
- J.D., George Mason University, 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia, 1997
- North Carolina, 2005
Other Areas of Law
- Regulatory & Legislative
Charlotte, NC 28202-4003
Brian Heslin’s varied and considerable experiences in civil, criminal and administrative courtrooms have evolved into a practice dedicated to representing clients operating within the expanding Energy sector.
A significant portion of Brian's practice focuses on the representation of companies and public utilities in the natural gas and other regulated energy industries. Over the past decade, he has developed a thorough understanding of the nuances and intricacies of these regulatory environments, including rate-making and design, natural gas procurement, energy transactions, pipeline transportation, storage and secondary capacity markets. His representation includes regular appearances before state public service commissions and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Brian also provides FERC and CFTC Dodd-Frank compliance assistance to numerous companies attempting to navigate these enhanced regulatory environments.
In addition, Brian devotes his time to defending clients and corporations under investigation and indictment by state and federal authorities, conducting internal and external investigations, and representing clients in civil matters including allegations of fraud, embezzlement and other civil causes of action. He leverages his experience as a prosecutor, defense appellate attorney and civil trial attorney to provide his clients with comprehensive counsel in complex and high-exposure situations. He has defended clients and negotiated significant outcomes with regulatory and enforcement agencies such as FERC, CFTC, U.S. Department of Justice, various state and federal prosecutors' offices, and other federal and state agencies.
The two segments of Mr. Heslin’s practice often intersect. For example, he represents energy companies involved in formal and informal investigations by regulatory agencies. In addition to representing energy clients in regulatory dockets and proceedings, he serves those same clients as litigation counsel, employing his comprehensive knowledge of those companies to pursue successful dispositions and outcomes in state and federal courts. The knowledge, temperament and skills developed in each arena equip him with a well-rounded and assured ability to obtain excellent results for his individual and corporate clients.
Brian writes extensively about the rapidly changing energy sector, particularly on topics including the growing interdependency between natural gas and electric power generation, hydraulic fracturing and natural gas production, natural gas transportation and flow reversals, LNG exports and other industry trends. [MVA Energy blog]
Prior to joining Moore & Van Allen, Mr. Heslin was a trial attorney with the United States Department of Justice, defending departmental and regulatory federal agencies in various civil matters. In addition, he served as a prosecutor and defense attorney in the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps.
- Fellow of the Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity
- Board Member, CLT Joules
- Board Member, International House
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Chairman of Moore & Van Allen’s Public Service Committee
- Recognized in the 2009-2016 editions of Benchmark Litigation as a “Future Star"
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Former trial attorney, United States Department of Justice
- Defended federal agencies including the Environmental Protection Agency, Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Interior and Department of Defense
- Prosecuted over 30 felony trials
- Worked with representatives of the United Nations and foreign governments to establish a western judicial system in Kosovo
- Instructor, “Document Retention and Destruction in the Age of Electronic Documents: How Document Retention Impacts Litigation and Business in the Computer Age”
- Instructor on various topics, including: law of war, international treaties, rules of engagement, electronic document discovery, FERC compliance and enforcement actions
- Recipient of The President's Volunteer Service Award, 2012
Mr. Heslin tried a fully contested jury trial in the federal district court of the District of Columbia. Mr. Heslin and his trial team defended an individual charged with conspiracy to commit major fraud upon the U.S., as well as charges of wire fraud and major fraud. Mr. Heslin's client, a 22-year veteran of U.S. Army Special Forces, served as an operations manager of a private security company that provided security services to civilian engineers in Afghanistan under USAID's infrastructure rebuilding efforts from 2003 and 2007. The case was prosecuted by the Procurement Fraud Section of the United States Department of Justice and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia with support of the FBI and USAID Office of Inspector General. After two days of deliberation, the jury remained locked at 10-2 in favor of not guilty and the judge declared a mistrial. Shortly thereafter, the prosecutors voluntarily dismissed all charges with prejudice.
- Heslin recognized by JD Supra as a Top Author for the 2016 Readers’ Choice Awards
- Heslin Quoted in Law360
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Moore & Van Allen for Eighth Consecutive Year
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Moore & Van Allen for Seventh Consecutive Year
- "CBJ Seen" Highlights Public Service Luncheon
- Firm Hosts 13th Annual Public Service Luncheon
- Heslin and Sosnick to Instruct FERC Natural Gas 101 Course Hosted by EUCI Feb. 22-23, February 2017
- Jeffries and Heslin to Instruct Natural Gas Utility Basics Course Hosted by EUCI, February 2016
- Heslin Co-Presents at ACC Pro Bono Event, October 7, 2014
- Heslin MCs at Pro Bono Awards, September 16, 2014
- Heslin Speaks at Gas Power Experts 2014 conference, June 10, 2014
- Heslin Instructs "FERC Natural Gas 101", May 19, 2014
Charlotte Business Journal, December 2014
The American Oil & Gas Reporter, November 2014
- President, Mecklenburg County Asian Pacific American Bar Association (MAP-Bar)
- Energy Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- American Bar Association