- Health Care
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Mezzanine Finance & Private Equity
- Private Equity & Mezzanine Finance
- A.B., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1978, with honors; Phi Beta Kappa
- J.D., University of Michigan, 1981
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1982
Other Areas of Law
- Corporate and Business Law
- Information Technology
- Health Care
- Joint Ventures, Limited Liability Companies and Partnerships
Charlotte, NC 28202-4003
Hal Levinson is one of the senior partners in Moore & Van Allen's corporate practice. Advising business clients on strategic decisions and complex transactions is the focus of his practice. He has structured and led numerous multi-faceted transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures and corporate finance projects. Hal also is an experienced advisor to public and private company boards of directors. While Hal has advised clients in a wide variety of industries, many of his clients are in the health care, information technology, financial services, industrial and consumer product sectors.
- Recipient of the 2015 Citizen Lawyers Award by the NC Bar Association
- Selected as a North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member of the Board of Commissioners of Carolinas Healthcare System and its Finance and Compliance Committee
- Included in Best Lawyers in America for Business/Corporate Law, 2008-2017
- Selected for inclusion to the North Carolina Super Lawyers list in 2006-2009 and 2011-2017; primary areas of practice are Mergers & Acquisitions, Business/Corporate, and Health Care
- Chairman of the Advisory Board of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Center for Jewish Studies
- Past president of the Foundation for Shalom Park, a 50 acre campus which is home to Charlotte's major Jewish agencies, and chairman of its $42 million Endowment and Expansion campaign
- Past member of founding Board of Directors of Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Past president and board member of the Charlotte Jewish Community Center and Child Care Resources
- Law Clerk to Hon. James B. McMillan, United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1981-1982
Representative transactions led by Mr. Levinson include:
- MyEyeDr., a leading sponsor-backed optometry management company, in numerous acquisitions and optometry management relationships throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.
- The sale by the shareholders of S & D Coffee, an industry leading coffee and specialty beverage company, to Cott Corporation (NYSE: COT), purchase price of $355 million.
- The acquisition by Gryphon Investors, a leading middle-market private equity firm based in San Francisco, CA, of HEPACO, Inc., a leading provider of critical environmental services on both an emergency response and planned basis in the Eastern United States.
- The sale by the shareholders of Strength of Nature, LLC, a leading provider of hair care products for women, to Godrej Consumer Products Limited of Mumbai, India.
- The sale of a successful emergency room staffing company to a growing, sponsor-backed physician management company.
- The sale of a southeastern based consumer finance company to a strategic acquirer backed by one of the major New York based private equity funds.
- The sale by Monitor Clipper Partners, a Boston-based middle-market private equity fund, to Accenture of Mortgage Cadence, a provider of loan origination software and electronic document management services in the U.S.
- Represented Bank of America in connection with the formation of clearXchange, a joint venture among several leading national banks to provide person-to-person payments through a network created by and for U.S. financial institutions.
- The investment by Monitor Clipper Partners in MyEyeDr. a multistate provider of vision care.
- The sale by the founders of a successful health care services company headquartered in the northeast to one of the leading international pharmaceutical companies.
- Guiding the orderly liquidation and dissolution of MedCath Corporation, formerly a publicly traded company, including the sale of 12 hospitals and operating divisions to many of the country’s leading profit and non-profit hospital systems.
- Sale of Elastic Therapy, Inc. a specialized textile manufacturer, to DJO, an international provider of medical devices and services.
- Sale of PMG Research to Inclinix, a portfolio company of Frontier Capital.
- Thirty-nine Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 76 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- Clay and Levinson Honored at NCBA Annual Meeting
- Forty-three Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 77 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- Forty-four Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
Health Care Alert, November 2008
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar: Executive Committee, Past Member