- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Financial Services & Insolvency Litigation
- Project & Equipment Finance
- B.S., Clemson University, 1989, summa cum laude
- M.S., Northwestern University, 1992; Thesis: "The influence of mixing on the microstructure of the cement paste/aggregate interfacial zone"; Published The Journal of Materials Science
- J.D., Emory University, 1994; Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal; First Honor Graduate
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1994
- South Carolina, 1994
Alan W. Pope
Joining the firm in 1995, Alan Pope primarily counsels financial institutions in corporate workouts and bankruptcies and in structuring intercreditor arrangements. He applies substantial experience to representing administrative agents and collateral agents in syndicated credit facilities and other financial institutions in secured lending transactions.
Representative Recent Bankruptcies and Workouts
- Crescent Resources, LLC (W.D. Tex.): Representation of administrative agent in an approximately $1.5 billion syndicated facility and $110 million debtor in possession financing facility in chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of a large real estate developer and its affiliates.
- Wood Structures, Inc. (Me.): Representation of administrative agent for lenders with over $25 million of secured and unsecured claims in the chapter 7 bankruptcy case of a manufacturer and distributer of manufactured wood products.
- Big West Oil, LLC (Del.): Representation of administrative agent for senior secured lenders on a $120MM revolving credit facility in the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of a Utah based oil refinery.
- Crown Pacific L.P. (Ariz.): Representation of agent for syndicate of lenders with $200 million in exposure in negotiating confirmed creditors' plan for debtor timber company. Prepetition, negotiated major restructure involving significant additional collateral coverage, $78 million pay-down and resolution of difficult intercreditor issues with private placement note holders holding $250 million of senior debt.
- Window Manufacturer: Representation of administrative agent for first lien lenders in a debt-for-equity restructuring of $220 million first lien credit facility and $90 million second lien credit facility involving approximately 100 lenders.
- Window Manufacturer: Representation of administrative agent for senior lenders in restructuring of $700 million credit facility and negotiation of collateral sharing agreement with senior note holders holding $600 million in obligations.
- Automobile Dealer: Representation of secured lender in connection with workout of approximately $65 million owed by an automobile dealer.
- Automobile Dealer: Representation of secured lender in connection with workout of approximately $30 million owed by an automobile dealer.
- Light Manufacturing: Representation of administrative agent for lenders in debt for equity restructuring of approximately $275 million in senior secured financing to borrower in the building products industry.
- Marketing: Representation of secured senior and mezzanine lender to direct mail marketing company involving a debt-for-equity restructuring and resulting change of control in favor of lenders.
- Healthcare: Representation of mezzanine lender to national chain of sleep clinics resulting in a debt-for-equity restructuring and resulting change of control in favor of lenders.
- Included in Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2006 - 2014.
- Selected for inclusion to the North Carolina Super Lawyers list, 2006, 2009 - 2014. His primary areas of practice are Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights.
- Included in Business North Carolina's Legal Elite list, 2005, 2008, 2014. His primary area of practice is Bankruptcy.
- Included in Chambers Partners USA in North Carolina - Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2009 - 2014.
- Selected as a North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Clerked Chief Judge Henry Politz on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Named a Robert W. Woodruff Scholar and First Honor Graduate at Emory University.
- MVA Practices & Attorneys Among Chambers’ Finest
- Forty-four Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 77 MVA Attorneys
- MVA Practices & Attorneys Among Chambers' Finest
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 71 MVA Attorneys
- MVA Practice Groups Receive Highest Chambers Recognitions
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association