- Commercial & Technology Transactions
- Electronic Health Record Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Trademark & Copyright
- B.S., North Carolina State University, 1979, magna cum laude
- J.D., Wake Forest University, 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1991
Charlotte, NC 28202-4003
A visiting professor of law at the Wake Forest University School of Law and an intellectual property specialist with more than 30 years of experience, Dick Lupo focuses his practice on intellectual property and technology transactional matters.
Dick is the team leader of Moore & Van Allen's IP team.
Heavily involved in a variety of intellectual property and transactional matters for emerging-market companies as well as established businesses, Dick provides sophisticated IP counsel to diverse clients in wide-ranging industries, including:
- Financial services
- Heavy industrial manufacturing
- Semi-conductor manufacturing
- Apparel design, branding, manufacturing and distribution
- Internet applications
- Computer software
- Consumer products
- Entertainment and professional sports
Dick assists his clients in product planning, design, protection and implementation through cooperation with design teams and others in the product development process. He is also heavily involved in a wide variety of business transactions that have an IP or technology component, as well as merges and acquisitions.
Dick also has extensive experience litigating patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright disputes across a spectrum of technologies, including the packaging, sports and telecommunications industries. He is a member of the firm's EHR Task Force.
Dick is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Included in Chambers Partners USA in North Carolina - Intellectual Property, 2012-2016
- Included in Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Law, Commercial Litigation, Copyright Law, Litigation-Intellectual Property and Litigation- Patent, Patent Law, and Trademark Law, 2007-2017
- Included in Business North Carolina's Legal Elite list, 2008 - 2010, 2012-2013, 2015
- Selected for inclusion to the North Carolina Super Lawyers list in 2008 - 2017
- Included in Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2013
- Selected for inclusion in IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2014
- Thirty Seven Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Named by Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers® Recognizes 74 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- Thirty-nine Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized by Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 76 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys
- IP Team Receives International Recognition
- MVA Attorneys and Practices Recognized in Latest Chambers and Partners Guide
- IP Hosts "MVA Talks" Seminar, June 25, 2014, Addressing intellectual property strategies for businesses
- Firm Participates in ACC Manufacturing Affinity Event, June 4, 2013, Ward & Taylor serve as event panelists; Lupo moderates
- Licensing Executives Society