- Class Actions & Multi-District Litigation
- Commercial and Industrial Real Estate Litigation
- Construction and Construction Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- North Carolina Business Court Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- White Collar, Regulatory Defense, and Investigations
- B.A., Furman University, 2003, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University, 2008; Notes Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review.
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 2009
Charlotte, NC 28202-4003
Chris Tomlinson has extensive experience representing clients in complex business litigation in federal and state courts and private arbitration. Mr. Tomlinson also assists clients with international and domestic regulatory enforcement matters, internal investigations, and white collar criminal matters.
A member in Moore & Van Allen’s Litigation Group, Mr. Tomlinson regularly assists a wide variety of clients, including financial institutions, broker-dealers, private equity groups, publicly-traded corporations, family-owned businesses, and individuals. Mr. Tomlinson’s litigation experience covers a broad range of commercial disputes, including financial services litigation, shareholder and corporate governance disputes, securities litigation, breach of contract and business tort litigation, and broker-dealer disputes. He has particular experience litigating cases in the North Carolina Business Court, and he is a practice leader for Moore & Van Allen’s North Carolina Business Court Litigation Team.
Mr. Tomlinson’s regulatory enforcement and white collar criminal practice includes assisting clients in investigations and enforcement matters in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America. Mr. Tomlinson completed a special assignment as an Assistant District Attorney at the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office, during which he tried dozens of cases to verdict.
Mr. Tomlinson also has a significant record of pro bono legal service, as he has assisted on numerous court-appointed federal criminal cases. Additionally, Mr. Tomlinson serves as the Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors of A Christian Ministry in the National Parks.
Prior to joining Moore & Van Allen, Mr. Tomlinson clerked for the Honorable Sidney A. Fitzwater, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Serves as Vice-Chairman for the Board of Directors of A Christian Ministry in the National Parks, a national non-profit operating in over 30 national parks.
- Completed a special assignment as an Assistant District Attorney in the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office.
- Received Vanderbilt’s Scholastic Excellence Awards in Professional Responsibility and Ethics in Multiparty Litigation.
- Author of Changing the Rules of Establishment Clause Litigation: An Alternative to the Public Expression of Religion Act. 6.1 Vand. L. Rev. 261 (Jan. 2008), which received the Myron Penn Laughlin Award.
- Obtained $160 million damages award in favor of bank and finding of no liability on $354 million in counterclaims following week-long arbitration hearing in dispute over commercial loans and valuation of real estate collateral. Bank of America v. AFH LLC et al., American Arbitration Association (2012).
- Represented Swisher Hygiene and its directors before the North Carolina Business Court in litigation regarding the sale of Swisher’s assets to Ecolab.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against client regarding sale of $16 million aircraft to plaintiff. Wedderburn Corp. v. Jetcraft Corp., et al., 2015 NCBC 101 (N.C. Business Court 2015).
- Obtained $4 million jury verdict and eventual control of company for client following month-long jury trial. Drymax, LLC v. Hickory Brands, Inc.,C. Business Court (2013).
- Achieved dismissal of all claims asserted against broker-dealer client. Bottom v. Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, North Carolina Superior Court (2014).
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of software developer client. Mortgage Cadence, LLC v. Urban Lending Solutions, LLC, Arbitration case no. 2012-1300A (2013).
- Obtained significant award for client in dispute over termination of industrial painting contract. Piedmont Natural Gas Co., Inc. v. Cannon Sline Industrial, Inc.,American Arbitration Association (2011).
- Obtained favorable outcome for defendant in securities class action. Mancuso v. Charles R. Schwab & Co.,S. District Court, District of South Carolina (2010).
- Represented financial institutions in numerous matters regarding commercial loan defaults.
- Represented private equity groups and their portfolio companies in a variety of disputes.
- Represented financial institutions in regulatory enforcement matters in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America.