- B.S.E.E., Clemson University, 2002, magna cum laude, Treasurer, Tau Beta Pi honor society, EE Sophomore of the Year
- J.D., University of Tennessee, 2005, Certificates of Academic Excellence in Patent Law, Entertainment Law, Pretrial Litigation, and Natural Resources Law
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, 2007
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2006
- Tennessee, 2005
Charlotte, NC 28202-4003
Patrick Horne concentrates his practice in intellectual property with a particular focus on patent procurement in the United States and throughout the world. Patrick has an electrical engineering degree and particular technical expertise in electronics, computer software/firmware, telecommunications, medical devices, and mechanical arts, among others.
In addition, Patrick has significant experience performing legal investigations such as infringement, validity, and freedom to operate as well as counseling clients with regard to trademark strategy including preparing and prosecuting trademark registration applications, both domestic and abroad. Patrick's practice further includes transactional matters including helping clients negotiate a wide variety of licensing agreements, purchasing agreements, and others. Patrick's transactional practice also includes providing IP support for M&A and debt/equity deals.
Patrick has experience assisting clients ranging in size from individuals and start-up companies to government entities and Fortune 500 companies. Currently, Patrick represents Fortune 500 companies in the banking industry, the retail industry, the software industry, the medical device industry, and the aerospace industry. He helps clients develop business-oriented goals for their intellectual property portfolios and has experience developing patent portfolios for clients with respect to a number of products in fields including telecommunication devices and protocols, end range of motion improvement medical devices, multi-media delivery, high-tech custom wood-working machinery, ink-jet and laser printing, handheld vibration analysis, micro-fluidic reactors, complex signal processing and analysis, road traffic information exchange, vehicle weigh-in-motion technology, vehicle reverse sight improvement, solar power capture and distribution, patient cognitive evaluation systems, electronic medical records, and automated prescription systems. Additionally, Patrick has helped clients protect and enforce trademarks in various fields such as high-end patient rehabilitation, the clothing industry, and the medical device industry.
- Presenter, "Negotiation of a Patent License Agreement," The Future of Innovation and Licensing in the Americas, 1st Pan-American LESI YMC Event, Chicago IL, September 2015
- Presenter, "Proposed Rule Changes in the PTO," Tennessee Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section, 4th Annual IP Law Forum, Nashville TN, April 2007.
- Presenter, "Hot Topics in U.S. Patent Prosecution," TIPLA, Nashville TN, November 2006.
- Presenter, "Signal Claims, Business Methods and Recent Developments in Patentability," Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association (TIPLA), Nashville TN, November 2008.
- Co-Author, "So Your Client Has Intellectual Property Questions. What do you do?" DICTA, a Knoxville Bar Association Publication, September 2008.
- Junior Achievement of the Central Carolinas, Board Member, 2015-present
- Mecklenburg Bar Foundation, Board Member, 2015-present
- LESI YMC Pan-American Conference Planning Committee, 2015-present
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, Class of 2013
- Charlotte Chamber Young Professionals, Board Member, 2013-2015
- Charlotte Clemson Club, Board Member and Networking Committee Member, 2012-2015
- St. Gabriel Catholic Church Finance Council, Member, 2013-2015
- Knights of Columbus Council 770, Member
- Horne Participates in LESI's 1st Pan-American Young Members Congress Event
- Moore & Van Allen Announces New Members for 2015
- Firm Named for CLT Joules Support
- Moore & Van Allen Invests in Success of Queen City Forward Entrepreneurs
- MVA Sponsoring CLT Joules Energy Innovation Group
- Horne Completes Bar Leadership Program
- North Carolina Bar Association: Intellectual Property Law Section
- Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association (TIPLA)
- Knoxville Bar Association Barristers, Former Executive Committee Member and Former Co-Chair, Volunteer Breakfast Committee