- Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring
- Financial Services & Insolvency Litigation
- Product Liability and Tort Litigation
- Unfair Trade & Antitrust
- White Collar, Regulatory Defense, and Investigations
- B.A., Davidson College, 1972, cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Rhodes Scholar
- B.A., Corpus Christi College, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom, 1974
- J.D., Yale University, 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1977
- All Federal District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts in North Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
- Fourth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
Daniel (Dan) G. Clodfelter
Dan Clodfelter’s practice currently emphasizes counseling and litigation involving federal and state antitrust and unfair trade practices matters, including mergers and acquisitions, and litigation and advice relating to zoning, land use, and planning law.
Over his career, he has represented a wide range of business clients in litigation matters involving antitrust claims, RICO claims, lender liability claims, product liability actions, trademark and copyright infringement claims, and environmental liabilities and has significant experience in class action and multi-district litigation matters in the federal courts. He also has worked extensively in matters involving bankruptcy and corporate reorganizations.
He is admitted to practice in all state and federal district courts in North Carolina, in the United States Supreme Court, and in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fourth and Sixth Circuits, and has frequently appeared pro hac vice in federal and state courts across the United States.
Since 1999, Mr. Clodfelter has served as a member of the North Carolina Senate, representing a portion of Mecklenburg County. He currently serves as co-chairman of the Finance Committee and chairs several other legislative committees and commissions. From 1987 to 1993, he served as a member of the Charlotte City Council, and before that he was a member and chairman of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission. Since 1982, Mr. Clodfelter has served as a Trustee of the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, Inc., and on numerous community and statewide non-profit boards and advisory bodies. His past service includes the Chief Justice’s Commission on the Future of the Courts in North Carolina, the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research, and the Board of Directors of Legal Services of Southern Piedmont.
- Law Clerk to Hon. James B. McMillan, United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1977-1978
- Past Director, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Director, Bankruptcy Section, North Carolina Bar Association
- Included in North Carolina Super Lawyers for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights and Antitrust Litigation, 2006-2013.
- Clodfelter Gives Keynote at Foundation Dinner
- Best Lawyers Recognizes 71 MVA Attorneys
- MVA Celebrates Service Commitment at 10th Annual Sally & Bill Van Allen Luncheon
- 2011 Legal Elite recognizes 20 MVA attorneys
- MVA attorneys honored by NC Super Lawyers
- Nineteen Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Recognized as Legal Elite
- Clodfelter to Speak at Upcoming Meeting, March 18, 2010
- Dan Clodfelter Speaks at Symposium on Green Initiatives, January 31, 2009
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association