Doug is skilled in handling real estate and personal property foreclosure actions, workouts and restructuring of defaulted credit facilities. He regularly advises lenders and borrowers regarding bankruptcy and bankruptcy-remoteness issues as well as special-purpose entities when structuring financial transactions. Moreover, he has experience in bankruptcy litigation and other debtor/creditor disputes, including adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court and exercise of creditor remedies in state court. Doug also has represented sellers and buyers in asset sales in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Thistle Downs Limited Partnership/Thistle Golf Club Limited Partnership (S.D. Fla.): Representation of secured creditor in stay litigation which terminated bankruptcy proceeding.
- Swartville, LLC (E.D.N.C.): Representation of secured creditor to obtain order denying confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Jefferson Landing, LLC (W.D.N.C.): Representation of secured creditor in section 363 purchase of operating assets out of Chapter 7 estate.
- The Wood Pile, LLC (E.D.N.C.): Representation of secured creditor in restructure of real estate loans through confirmed Chapter 11 plan.
- Prime Carolina LLC (W.D.N.C.): Representation of secured creditor in pre-bankruptcy foreclosure proceeding and preliminary injunction litigation and in stay litigation in bankruptcy case.
- Financial Services: Representation of financial services borrower in restructuring of $110 million credit facility.
- Financial Services: Representation of state bank in restructuring and securing of involuntary indebtedness arising from check-kiting scheme.
- Real Estate: Representation of secured creditor in restructure of loans to related borrowers developing low income housing tax credit properties.
- Real Estate: Representation of secured creditors and borrower in various deed-in-lieu of foreclosure transactions.
- Financial Services: Representation of special purpose financial services borrower in $75 million credit facility.
- Various: Issuance of true sale and non-consolidation legal opinions for sales of assets in rated securitization financing transactions.
- Financial Services: Representation of national bank in post-foreclosure operation and re-sale of foreclosed golf course and related real estate assets.
- Bankruptcy/Criminal: Representation of county district attorney in successful appeal of federal court injunction prohibiting criminal prosecution of discharged Chapter 7 debtor.
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013-2022
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Bankruptcy, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Litigation - Bankruptcy "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Contributing editor, "Protecting the Creditor's Interest," North Carolina Bankruptcy Practice Manual, 5th ed., North Carolina Bar Foundation, 2003
- Contributing author, Official Comments to N.C. Gen. Stat. Chapter 39, Article 3A (the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act)
- Former Chair, Bankruptcy Section, North Carolina Bar Association, 2002-2003
- Former Vice Chair, Bankruptcy Section, North Carolina Bar Association, 2001-2002
- Former Chair, Legislative Committee, North Carolina Bar Association, 1996-1997
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Business North Carolina, 01.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2018
- Best Lawyers, 08.2017
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
B.A., Illinois Wesleyan University, 1984, magna cum laude
J.D., University of Michigan, 1987
- North Carolina, 1987
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1993
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern (1990), Middle (1990) and Western Districts of North Carolina (1987)