Emmett has extensive experience preparing and negotiating IP, technology, and commercial agreements, including patent and trademark licenses, software as a service (SaaS) agreements, joint development agreements, software reseller agreements, cloud hosting agreements, and a variety of supply chain, hosted solution, and general commercial agreements. Emmett counsels clients in transactional matters across a range of industries, including:
- Computer software;
- Shipping and logistics;
- Financial services;
- Textiles; and
- Sports and entertainment.
Emmett’s practice also involves working with private equity sponsors and strategic buyers in evaluating and negotiating mergers and acquisitions in technological fields. As part of these transactions, Emmett leads intellectual property due diligence efforts, including evaluating intellectual property portfolios and technology agreements, and negotiates intellectual property and regulatory terms.
In addition to his transactional intellectual property work, Emmett regularly assists clients in preparing trademark clearance opinions and prosecuting trademark applications.
Emmett works with Fortune 100 companies, early and expansion stage companies, start-ups, and entrepreneurs. He enjoys helping to align their business goals through developing efficient strategies for acquiring, protecting, and commercializing intellectual property and technology.
Emmett graduated from Davidson College, where he studied Physics. He graduated cum laude from Boston College Law School and served as a Managing Editor of the Boston College Intellectual Property and Technology Forum.
Before joining Moore & Van Allen, Emmett practiced at a large, international intellectual property law firm. Prior to his legal career, he was a high school Physics teacher.
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2022
- Member, Moore & Van Allen YP Committee
- Board member of Envision Charlotte, 2021-present
- Advisory board member of Wildsides, 2016-2018
- Co-Authored, Defect-Related Density of States in Low-Bandgap InGaAs/InAsP Double Heterostructures Grown on InP Substrates, Applied Physics Letters 80, 4570 (2002)
- Co-Authored, Defect-Related Density of States in Low-Bandgap InGaAs/InAsP Double Heterostructures Grown on InP Substrates, Applied Physics Letters 80, 4570, 2002