Lauren focuses her practice on obtaining, protecting, and enforcing intellectual property rights with particular experience in polymers, textiles, pharmaceuticals, chemical compositions, medical devices, and industrial chemical processes. Her services include patent preparation and prosecution in the U.S. and foreign patent offices pertaining to infringement, invalidity, product landscaping, and freedom to operate investigations, and due diligence involving intellectual property for acquisitions.
In addition, Lauren has significant experience representing both petitioners and patent owners in post-grant proceedings before the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), having been repeatedly recognized as a top-performing attorney in the field.
- Represented a battery manufacturer in four IPR challenges involving four patents relating to nonaqueous secondary batteries and battery separators
- Defended six patents in 20 IPR challenges relating to intravascular blood pumps for a major medical equipment manufacturer. All 20 challenges were denied by the PTAB
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in 11 IPR challenges involving seven patents relating to a fuel management system for variable ethanol octane enhancement of gasoline engines
- Defended a major medical equipment manufacturer in five IPR challenges involving patents relating to rod reduction devices used in spinal surgery. The PTAB refused to institute proceedings on three of the petitions and issued final written decisions rejecting all the petitioner’s grounds in the remaining two petitions
- Patexia IPR Intelligence Report – Best Performing Attorneys Overall, 2019-2021; Best Performing Attorneys for Patent Owner, 2018-2021
- PTAB Bar Association – Top 50 Women in PTAB Trials
- USPTO – Patent Pro Bono Achievement Certificate, 2018
- Managing Intellectual Property – Most Active PTAB Attorneys, 2017
North Carolina Bar Association
PTAB Bar Association
- PTAB Overhaul Coming? SCOTUS Speaks in Arthrex, Intellectual Property Advisory, June 2021
- USPTO Post-Grant Trials Handbook, 2nd Edition, Wolters Kluwer, 2018
- Patent Remedies and Exhaustion 2014-2015, Patent Litigation 2015, Oct. 2015