Mike practices in the firm’s Corporate and Private Equity groups, focusing on representing domestic and international private equity, venture capital and search funds, independent sponsors, and companies in evaluating, structuring, and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, and investment transactions, including leveraged buyouts, growth equity investments, mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and sales, secondary fund interest transfers, divestitures, and recapitalizations. In addition, Mike has extensive experience representing and counseling public, private, and emerging companies in corporate governance, incentive compensation, and operational legal matters.
Mike delivers value-added counsel to his clients by combining his substantive expertise with a responsive, client service-focused practice. He understands that clients hire transaction counsel to get deals done, so he offers practical and pragmatic advice, leveraging his market knowledge and creativity to help clients drive transaction execution while effectively managing risk.
Prior to joining the firm, Mike worked for two international law firms in offices located in New York and Charlotte.
- Prior to joining the firm, Mike represented private equity funds, financial institutions, alternative investment funds and operating companies (including portfolio companies), including Pamlico Capital, Roark Capital Group, Warren Equity Partners, EVE Partners, GSO Capital Partners, Capital Advisors, Goldman Sachs & Co., Citizens Bank, Wells Fargo, Regions Bank, Patagonia, symplr, Genova Diagnostics, Inc. and Consolidated Systems, Inc. in connection with mergers and acquisitions, acquisition financings, growth equity investments and recapitalizations, equity co-investment transactions and governance and operational matters.
- Mike also worked with and represented numerous publicly held companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, public equity offerings and general corporate matters, including General Electric Company (NYSE: GE), Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: TYPE), Intralinks Holdings Inc. (NYSE: IL), Concurrent Computer Corporation (NASDAQ: CCUR) and Inotek Pharmaceuticals Corporation (NASDAQ: ITEK).
- Charlotte Business Journal, June 2020
- Charlotte Business Journal, May 2020
- Moore & Van Allen advises symplr, Pamlico Capital and The CapStreet Group in Clearlake Capital Group acquisition of symplr10.2018
Blogs and Resources
- Treasury Department Again Issues New Guidance on PPP Loan “Necessary to Support Ongoing Operations” Certification04.2020MVA COVID-19 Resource Center
- Board Member, University of Michigan Alumni Club of Charlotte, 2015-2017
- "Borrower Insights For Maximizing PPP Loan Forgiveness", Law360, June 2020
- "Forgiveness is Divine: Insight for PPP Borrowers to Maximize Loan Forgiveness", MVA COVID-19 Resource Center, April 2020 (April 30,2020; Updated May 8, 2020 and June 10, 2020 to Reflect FAQ #40 and Forgiveness Application, Interim Final Rule on Forgiveness and PPP Flexibility Act, respectively)
- "Treasury Department Issues New Guidance on PPP Loan “Necessary to Support Ongoing Operations” Certification", MVA COVID-19 Resource Center, April 2020 (Updated April 24, 2020 to Reflect April 24 Interim Final Rule)
- “BNA Insights: Update - Final Rules Announced Regarding FLSA-Mandated Salary Increases,” Bloomberg/BNA Mergers & Acquisitions Law Report, June 2016
- "The Minimum Wage Hike You Won’t Find on a Picket Sign is Already Here: Examining FLSA-Mandated Salary Increases and Analyzing their Impact on Operations and M&A Activity," Bloombeg/BNA Mergers & Acquisitions Law Report, March 2016
J.D., Wake Forest University, 2009
B.A., University of Michigan, 2006, honors
- North Carolina, 2017
- New York, 2010