Our public finance attorneys serve as counsel to underwriters, issuers, lenders and credit providers and trustees as well as disclosure counsel in a wide range of municipal debt structures. The team has led and participated in transactions involving state and local governments, hospitals and healthcare institutions, senior living facilities, universities, colleges, charter schools and other educational institutions, student housing projects, non-profit enterprises, ports, airports, utilities, solid waste disposal projects, transportation credits, single family and multifamily housing, sports arenas and facilities, and manufacturing.
The public finance team has considerable knowledge of the federal securities laws, having drafted countless offering documents, bond purchase agreements, continuing disclosure agreements and remarketing agreements. We provide negative assurance and opinion letters and blue sky memoranda, and serve as disclosure counsel to the State of North Carolina.
Tax-exempt transactions handled by the team range from single bank financings via direct purchase by a bank or its subsidiary to capital markets transactions such as multi-bank syndicated tax-exempt bonds. In connection with financings, our lawyers are often called upon to advise as to matters of structure and collateral and on related derivative products. We also represent financial institutions providing credit support in the form of letters of credit, standby bond purchase agreements, or dedicated lines of credit. Our active and experienced workout group often assists in troubled tax-exempt credits.
- Moore & Van Allen Receives Multiple National and Metropolitan Rankings in 2024 Edition of Best Law Firms®11.2023
- Best Lawyers 2023 Recognizes 104 Moore & Van Allen Attorneys - Eleven firm attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Moore & Van Allen’s Amy Johnson receives Charlotte Business Journal’s “Women in Business Achievement Award”02.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Corporate Counsel honors Moore & Van Allen Member Amy Johnson with national Women, Influence & Power in Law Award08.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Ed Ivey quoted in American Banker article: Libor ends next month. Some borrowers may be in for a nasty surprise.06.2023
- Ed Ivey quoted in IFLR article: USD Libor survey, part IV:ARRC and Fed’s Libor transition management deemed ‘disruptive’ by market12.2021
- Ed Ivey quoted in Practice Insights from IFLR article: Credit-sensitive rates beneficial for US market, sources say11.2021
- Corporate Counsel , 12.2019
- The International Financial Law Review, 12.2021
- Barrett Morris, John Stoker and Ed Ivey author Westlaw article: CFPB issues proposed rule to require nonbank registration and public registry of terms and conditions in form contracts02.2023
- Barrett Morris, John Lightbourne and Ed Ivey author Westlaw article: The CFPB has entered the ring and makes clear moves to regulate nonbank digital asset activities11.2022