Carey brings to the table many years of experience in closing various types of financial and real estate related transactions. Having worked for years at New York City offices of international law firms, Carey brings a broad range of experience and knowledge in commercial real estate transactions and corporate transactions involving real estate.
Carey has represented numerous financial institutions, investment banks and other lenders, banks, and insurance companies, in various types of structured finance transactions, including, but not limited to, repurchase facilities, back to back repurchase transactions, warehouse financing, participations in repurchase facilities, secured credit facilities, asset portfolio purchases and sales, forward flow purchase and sale arrangements, subscription financing, commercial real estate loan originations. She has financed various types of financial assets such as commercial and residential mortgage loans, business loans, mezzanine loans, participations, A/B notes, securities, receivables and consumer solar power loans.
Carey also has significant experience in complex commercial real estate transactions, with a concentration in the origination, securitization, and modification of large commercial loans. Other real estate experience includes representing:
- financial institutions in the purchase and sale of whole loans, participations interest and mezzanine loans;
- agents and lenders in syndicated asset based and enterprise value loans in connection with the review of and perfecting of a security interest in the real property interest partially securing the loan;
- developers in the purchase, sale, and financing of office and multi-family buildings;
- landlords and tenants in the leasing, subleasing and modification of leases for office and retail space;
- individuals and not-for-profit entities in the purchase, sale, and finance of high-end cooperative apartments, condominiums and houses.
Carey’s experience includes deals that involve tenancy-in common structures, air rights, fee above a plane, 1031 exchanges, ISDA documents, bankruptcy orders, mezzanine documents, intercreditor agreements, opinion letters, title and survey, ground leases, space leases, landlord waivers, estoppels, subordination agreements, comfort letters, franchise agreements, property management agreements and zoning letters.
- $500 Million Repurchase Facility from a national bank secured by the sale/pledge of mortgage loans
- $2 Billion Repurchase Facility from a life insurance company secured by the sale/pledge of securities
- $150 Million Loan Sale from a regional bank involving solar panel loans
- $825 Million Loan from 3 national banks secured by the largest regional mall in Florida involving multiple note and mortgage structure, Florida mortgage tax issues, and fee and leasehold interest
- $222 Million Loan from national bank secured by 34 Industrial Properties in 14 States & $78 Million Mezzanine Loan involving crossing of multiple mortgages, Maryland IDOT Structure, letter of credit issues and interest rate caps
- $92 Million Loan secured by an office building in Virginia involving tenancy-in-common borrower structure and condominium office complex
- $29 Million Loan Participation and Purchase as Counsel to investment management firm on the acquisition of a loan secured by an office complex including structuring the mortgage loan into participation interest
- Board Member, Tropicana Homeowners Association
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 1998
B.A., Marist College, 1993
- North Carolina, 2017
- Massachusetts, 1999
- New York, 1999