Chris handles complex real estate transactions involving various layers of complexity: public/private partnerships, joint ventures, multi-use projects, and complicated deal structuring.
Chris has been the ground-up attorney on a number of large, multi-use developments, including in drafting declarations and easements, negotiating purchase and sale agreements, assisting in zoning and development matters, facilitating in retail leasing, and closing multiple loans for the acquisition and construction of the project.
Chris’ work also includes representation of Fortune 500 and Fortune Global 500 companies on extensive leasing and acquisition work. He handles on-going representation (spanning over a decade) of a large public retirement fund in acquiring, financing, leasing and managing a large portfolio of office, retail, and multi-family properties.
Chris has been involved in a number of complex hotel and condominium transactions in marquee locations. He has extensive experience working with the North Carolina Planned Community and Condominium Acts.
Chris has recently assisted clients in navigating the real estate challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic—including lease and deal restructuring.
- Represented a public pension fund negotiating a $250 million credit facility secured by a portfolio of multifamily, retail and office assets
- Represented the re-developer of historic Carolina Theatre in Uptown Charlotte, which included complex condominium and construction issues
- Represented a client with respect to the development of Waverly in South Charlotte, a large multi-use project with multi-family and single-family homes, a retail center, office and medical office buildings.
- Represented a client with respect to the acquisition and construction financing for numerous multifamily developments in North Carolina totaling over $500 million in aggregate.
- Represented a developer with respect to a public financing for large-scale, multi-use redevelopment project in South Charlotte.
- Chambers USA – North Carolina, Real Estate: Finance, 2019-2020
- 2020 Recipient of Bill & Sally Van Allen Public Service Award.
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2020
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2019
- American Bar Association: Real Property Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Real Property Section
- Urban Land Institute, Young Leader Member
B.A., Boston University, 2005, summa cum laude
J.D., Duke University, 2009, Alaska Law Review
- North Carolina, 2009