A South Carolina Supreme Court certified specialist in bankruptcy and debtor/creditor law, Cynthia represents businesses, banks, various lending institutions, credit unions and landlords in pursuing creditors’ rights in bankruptcy cases and workouts/restructures.
Cynthia also provides in-house training to creditors, educating financial institutions on the proper and most efficient means for collections, including rights and remedies in bankruptcy cases.
In 1993, she was appointed to the United States Panel of Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustees for the State of South Carolina, resigning in 2000 to devote more time to creditor representation.
Cynthia is also former chair of The Supreme Court of South Carolina Commission’s Bankruptcy and Debtor-Creditor Law Specialization Advisory Board. She is licensed in both South Carolina and North Carolina courts.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charleston Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2009-2023
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2009-2020
- Member, J. Bratton Davis Bankruptcy American Inn of Court
- Wake Forest Law School Board of Visitors, Executive Committee, 2019
- Wake Forest Law School Board of Visitors, 2014-2019
- Past Director, South Carolina Bankruptcy Law Association
- Past Member, Advisory Committee on Rules and Practice, U. S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Carolina
- Recipient, South Carolina Bankruptcy Law Association award for outstanding service in the United States Bankruptcy Court, 1999
- One of the founding Board Members of Harbor National Bank, later acquired by Pinnacle Bank
- Cynthia J. Lowery among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, 04.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- South Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bankruptcy Lawyers Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Bankers Association
- Certified Specialist: Bankruptcy Law, Debtor-Creditor, by the Supreme Court of South Carolina
- Former United States Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee
J.D., Wake Forest University, 1988
B.S., College of Charleston, 1983
- South Carolina, 1989
- North Carolina, 1988