Heavily involved in a variety of intellectual property and transactional matters for emerging-market companies as well as established businesses, Dick provides sophisticated IP counsel to diverse clients in wide-ranging industries, including:
- Financial services
- Heavy industrial manufacturing
- Internet applications
- Computer software
Dick is heavily involved in a wide variety of business transactions that have an IP or technology component. He often represents clients in sophisticated patent license arrangements as well as license arrangements involving other types of proprietary property.
He also assists his clients in product planning, design, protection and implementation through cooperation with design teams and others in the product development process. He is well versed in the issues arising from transactions involving joint development of intellectual property and other proprietary rights.
Dick also has extensive experience litigating patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright disputes across a spectrum of technologies.
He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law, 2007-2020; Commercial Litigation, 2007-2022; Copyright Law, 2007-2024; Litigation-Intellectual Property, 2007-2024; Litigation- Patent, 2007-2024; Patent Law, 2007-2024; Trademark Law, 2007-2024
- Chambers USA - North Carolina, Intellectual Property, 2012-2023
- Managing Intellectual Property's IP Stars, 2013-2023
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2014-2023
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2008-2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2008-2010, 2012-2013, 2015
- Dickson M. Lupo among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- IAM Patent 1000, 06.2020
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- IAM Patent 1000, 06.2019
- Managing IP, 05.2019
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
- Licensing Executives Society