Chris Oates is routinely involved in the acquisition, development, financing, and leasing of urban and suburban office complexes, mixed-use developments, hotels, and retail shopping center facilities. He has represented municipal interests and private developers in public/private joint ventures, economic incentive agreements, and other collaborations.
He has also been involved with the negotiation of lease agreements, restrictive covenants, and operating and reciprocal easement agreements for developer, lender, and tenant clients. He has assisted developers with zoning issues and obtaining variances before municipal boards.
Chris has written and lectured on commercial real estate leasing issues, especially the negotiation of retail leases.
- Chambers USA-North Carolina, Real Estate, 2003-2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Land Use and Zoning Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2015, 2020; Charlotte Real Estate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law, 2006-2022
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2006-2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2006-2011, 2013
- General Counsel to the Charlotte Sports Foundation (Operator of ACC Championship and Duke's Mayo Football Games)
- Past Chairman, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2018
- Super Lawyers, 01.2018
- American Bar Association: Real Property Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Real Property Section