Kaitlin brings unwavering dedication to her clients and a deep work ethic to her practice. Her experience as a law clerk for the former Chief Judge of the North Carolina Business Court taught her the importance of having a deep understanding of clients’ businesses and industries to enable her to develop pragmatic and creative solutions to the dispute.
She brings extensive experience to her practice, which focuses on internal investigations and responses to government investigations, civil enforcement actions, and defending criminal charges against individuals as well as public and private companies across a wide range of issues.
Kailin’s practice and experience include complex civil litigations involving a wide variety of corporate governance disputes, general business disputes, and commercial contracts. She is well versed in the North Carolina limited-liability company and partnership disputes.
Kaitlin regularly practices in state and federal court. In her litigation practice, she has experience:
- Drafting filings for all phases of litigation conducted in North Carolina Business Court.
- Arguing successful motions to dismiss claims made against the firm’s client.
- Conducting witness interviews and depositions.
- Cross-examining witnesses in federal court and North Carolina Business Court.
- Working with forensic consultants and experts to prepare expert evidence in support of the client’s position.
- Presenting the closing argument against the award of punitive damages at trial.
In her white collar and investigation practice she has taken the lead case management role in multiple lengthy complex criminal trials, including coordinating strategy with a ten-defendant joint defense group. She has also worked on the development of an evaluation of an internal allegation reporting process training and managing over seventy resources.
Kaitlin is also active in pro bono matters for indigent clients, including divorce, child custody, and support proceedings.
- Second-chaired a two-week jury trial in the North Carolina Business Court defending a majority member of North Carolina limited-liability company against claims for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of the company’s operating agreement
- Assisted in the successful defense of the former CEO of the nation’s second largest poultry producer against criminal antitrust conspiracy charges alleging price-fixing and bid rigging, achieving an acquittal after three consecutive trials in federal court in Colorado
- Assisted the team that published a racial equity audit report for CoreCivic, the largest private operator of corrections and detention facilities in the United States
- Assisted in representing a business conglomerate in responding to DOJ investigations into federal bribery and financial crimes
- Assisted a U.S. financial institution’s time-sensitive internal investigation into potential sales practice violations requiring the management of a diverse team to investigate and synthesize findings for regulatory reporting purposes, as well as identifying and implementing potential process improvements
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
J.D., Wake Forest University, 2016, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Wake Forest Law Review
B.S., Wake Forest University, 2013
- North Carolina, 2016
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina