Martha draws from her previous experience working for the North Carolina state court system to assist firm attorneys and its clients navigate state court practice and procedure. In this role, she stays abreast of changes to rules and various local practices and procedures for North Carolina’s 100 counties. Most recently, this has included staying current on COVID-related court orders in order to alert attorneys to practice changes.
Martha works across all levels of state court from small claims to appellate cases, including North Carolina Business Court. Additionally, her work supports attorneys undertaking difficult pro bono matters for victims of domestic violence and human trafficking, and in other matters. Martha also helps train firm attorneys new to the state on state court procedures.
Before joining the firm, Martha worked as a Legal Hearing Officer in the Mecklenburg County Superior Court. In this role, she presided over guardianship cases, contested and non-contested foreclosure matters, and other matters within the Clerk of Court’s jurisdiction. Martha also managed estates and special proceedings for the Clerk and, in doing so, gained extensive knowledge of estates and special proceedings. In addition, she learned many of the detailed procedures and rules applicable to the civil, criminal, and bookkeeping departments managed by the Clerk.
In her private practice, Martha represented clients in state criminal and civil cases and in federal employment matters. She has also served as the court-appointed guardian ad litem in guardianship, civil and criminal cases, where she dealt extensively with complex issues of mental capacity, mental health, and elder exploitation.
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-2019
- Republican primary winner for Mecklenburg Clerk of Court, 2014
- Presenter, "Guardianship & Incompetency - Understanding Vital Pieces of the Puzzle" CLE
- Mecklenburg County Bar Lawyer Referral Service Award for Outstanding Service, 1996
- Member, USO of North Carolina, Inc.
- Member, United Methodist Women, Inc.
- Volunteer, Boykin Spaniel Rescue
Board Member, Ordained Ministry-Western North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church
Executive Officer, Western North Carolina Conference United Methodist Women, 2016-2019
Former Legal Counsel, Mecklenburg County GOP, 2014-2018
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- American Bar Association
- Co-author, "North Carolina Judicial Branch - Updated Emergency Order re: COVID-19," NCBA Blog: Litigation Section, March 2020
- Author, "A Site For Your Sore Eyes," NCBA Blog: Litigation Section, June 2018
- Author, "Judicial Update - COVID-19," NCBA Blog: Litigation Section, March 2020
Author, "COVID-19 Update," NCBA Blog: Litigation Section, March 2020