Paul has extensive experience in a wide range of real estate transactions.
- He represents real estate owners in tax-deferred exchanges under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code, including forward and reverse exchanges and tenant in common restructures.
- He represents lenders and borrowers in real estate loan transactions, with a particular focus on homebuilder construction facilities and lot development facilities.
- He has drafted a master declaration of covenants, land condominium declarations and other documents for a two-block urban mixed-use redevelopment.
- He has represented a bank in the completion of development of a 70 unit second-tier residential condominium tower that secured a distressed $30,000,000 construction loan, including the preparation of a master land condominium declaration, a second-tier condominium declaration and template documents for the sale of second-tier condominium units by the bank.
- He has represented a bank in a $15,000,000.00 acquisition and development loan secured by a statutory riparian easement, marina facilities and non-profit yacht club interests.
- He has represented local government and quasi-governmental entities regarding real estate, development, contract and other transactional matters, including representation of a municipality in a joint venture with a school board to acquire and develop land for schools, a municipal community center and municipal park.
- Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law: Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Zoning Board of Adjustment, 2012-2019; Chair, 2016-2019
- Alternate Member, Durham City/County Board of Adjustment, 2006-2007
- Charlotte Secondary School:
- Board of Directors, 2015-2018;
- Chair, 2017-2018
- Law & Politics North Carolina "Rising Stars", Real Estate
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Real Estate
- Leadership Raleigh, Class 22 Graduate
- Member of Land Acquisition Committee, Catawba Lands Conservancy, Charlotte, NC, 2010-2012
- Volunteer Advisor, High County Conservancy, Boone, NC, 2002-2005
- Adjunct Professor, Pfeiffer University MBA, "Business Law," Summer 2002
- North Carolina Bar Association (Real Property Law Section, Business Law Section, and Land Use Section)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- 26th Judicial District Bar Association
- Federalist Society
- Panelist, “Elected and Appointed Officials – Do’s and Don’ts of Representing Clients in Legislative and Quasi-Judicial Proceedings,” N.C. Bar Association Zoning, Planning & Land Use Section Annual Meeting, April 2017
B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1993
J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1996
- North Carolina, 1996
- South Carolina, 2015