Some of the services Kevin provides his clients include:
- Obtaining patent protection in the U.S. and non-U.S. patent offices.
- Infringement and invalidity investigations, product landscaping, and freedom to operate investigations, and product redesign assistance.
- Preparing and negotiating license, manufacturing, distribution, joint-venture, joint-development, royalty-sharing, intellectual property purchase agreements.
- Negotiating and performing due diligence involving intellectual property in a variety of debt and M&A transactions, including: preparing and negotiating intellectual property and regulatory compliance provisions; due diligence related to ownership, scope, product coverage, and overall legal value of intellectual property assets/ collateral; and analyzing material licenses and other commercial agreements to assess a range of issues, such as the scope of license rights, transferability, assignability, and termination provisions.
He also assists clients to develop strategies to effectively manage their intellectual property, including risk management of third-party intellectual property rights, consulting on a wide range of transactions with intellectual property components.
Kevin works with clients in diverse areas of technology, including electronics, computer software/firmware, artificial intelligence, blockchain, sensor technologies, distributed networks, cloud computing, network analysis & maintenance, data security, data management, telephony, medical devices,, power-management systems, flight navigation, laser and optics, printing technology, battery technology, financial services and banking systems, power and drive train for heavy vehicles.
He has also pursued numerous software and business-method inventions, such as online search engines, inventory and logistic systems, database management, web-based interfaces, online ticketing, financial instruments, insurance products, banking transactions. Kevin has particular experience with blockchain technology, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and data and cyber security.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Patent Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2018, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Patent Law, 2014-2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2009
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2008, 2010-2012
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, 2015-2020
- Previously systems engineer, Analysis Measurement Services and Honeywell Corporation
- Licensed to practice in the State of North Carolina and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- IAM Patent 1000, 06.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- IAM Patent 1000, 06.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2018
- IAM Patent 1000, 06.2018
- Best Lawyers, 08.2017
J.D., University of Tennessee, cum laude
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Computer Science; University of Tennessee, with honors
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office