Tania delivers practical litigation and healthcare compliance counsel based on identified client priorities. She also provides leadership on complex discovery projects, supervising teams of attorneys and consultants in financial investigations.
Tania previously served as an associate with the firm’s government affairs team, building regulatory and compliance experience across a broad range of government, manufacturing, health care, and financial services clients.
Her background in regulatory affairs led to a role as Director of Compliance and Labor for a regional health care center. As a member of senior management, she gained experience in designing compliance programs, providing legal and policy guidance in health care and employment issues, and training staff and health care providers in proactive risk minimization. In so doing, she navigated the complex maze of regulations of the Health Resources and Services Administration, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the National Association of Community Health Centers, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Bureau of Primary Health Care, as well as state healthcare, pharmacy and employment agencies.
With a background in both corporate and non-profit industries, Tania has represented clients in district court, government agency hearings, mediation tables and meeting rooms. She possesses the ability to apply both strategic analysis and professional empathy to complex legal issues. Her practice is dedicated to understanding client needs and customizing deliverables.
Tania’s relationships with community, business, and political leaders are grounded in earned respect, trust, and comradery. Through pro bono work and community service, she strives to increase access to counsel and legal assistance and to improve justice delivery systems for the underrepresented. She also remains a zealous advocate for expanding diversity and inclusion within the legal profession. As a result, she continues to build a service-oriented legal practice.
Tania won several awards for her legal skills and leadership, and her published articles display tactical analysis of law and public policy.
- Provided discovery and investigative counsel to one of the top five financial institutions in the United States based on sales practices and consumer fraud violations of the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Supervised a team of more than 75 attorneys and consultants in conducting an independent investigation and review of discovery documents; delivered quality analysis and customized training to internal stakeholders to effect remediation and achieve compliance with a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau consent order
- In advance of business expansion and relocation, secured penalty fee waivers and compliant permit status during a hearing with a state pharmacy board on behalf of a regional health center. Subsequently, designed the organizational compliance program and created internal monitoring and auditing systems of health center services and employment processes.
- Negotiated collaborative business partnerships and economic incentive plans between the City of Charlotte and a multinational technology company to deliver digital support and social media platforms. During the 2012 Democratic National Convention
- Worked with the South Carolina Black Caucus to support the Certificate of Need application of a large health system to the state Department of Health and Environmental Control
- ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award, 2015
- Lawyers of Color Inaugural Hot List, Southern Region, 2013
- Mecklenburg Times, "50 Most Influential Women," 2013
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, Women of Justice, 2012
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, Leader in the Law, 2011
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2011
- Founding Member, Moore & Van Allen Lawyers of Color group, 2012
- Selected by Bank of America, Moore & Van Allen and Legal Services of the Southern Piedmont to spearhead a Hispanic outreach project
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar Board, 2021-2022
- Mecklenburg County Bar Judicial Nomination Committee, 2015–current
- Mecklenburg County Bar Diversity & Inclusion Committee, 2011-2014
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, Class of 2011
- Board Member and Secretary, The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts & Culture, 2007-2013
- Board Member, The Possibility Project – Charlotte, 2007-2016
- Assisted a juvenile court judge in the creation of a pilot program for Vanderbilt Legal Clinic
- Member, American Health Law Association, 2020-current
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association, 2004–current
- Member, Mecklenburg County Bar Association, 2004-current
- Board of Creative Directors, ReVision (A Performing Arts Collaborative), 2020–current
- Board Member, The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Art & Culture, 2007-2013
- Board Member, The Possibility Project, 2007-2016
J.D., Vanderbilt University, 2000
B.A., Vanderbilt University, 1997; Vanderbilt University Chancellor's Scholar; National Merit Scholar
- North Carolina, 2004