North Carolina Legislative Report - December 20, 2012
December 20, 2012
Governor-Elect McCrory today added three members to his cabinet in addition to the two he named last week. He has yet to select leadership for the departments of commerce, transportation and administration.
- Winston-Salem businessman Lyons Gray will serve as Secretary of Revenue.
- Susan Wear Kluttz, former Mayor of Salisbury, will serve as Secretary of Cultural Resources.
- Raleigh defense attorney Kieran Shanahan will serve as Secretary of Public Safety.
- Aldona Vos will serve as the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- John Skvarla will serve as Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources.
- Raleigh businessman Art Pope will be the Deputy Budget Director of the State Office of Management and Budget, OSBM.
- Charlotte attorney Bob Stephens will serve as McCrory’s chief legal counsel.
- Chris Walker, former spokesman for U.S. Rep. Richard Burr and Governor Mitt Romney’s Presidential campaign, will serve as Communications Director.
House Budget Chairs
House Speaker Thom Tillis Tuesday named the chairs of the House Appropriations Subcommitttees.
- Chairing eduction will be Representatives Hugh Blackwell (R-Burke), Craig Horn (R-Union), and Chuck McGrady (R-Henderson).
- Chairing General Government will be Representatives George Cleveland (R-Onslow) and Rayne Brown (R-Davidson).
- Heading Health & Human Services will be Representatives Marilyn Avila (R-wake), Mark Hollo (R-Alexander), and William Brisson (D-Bladen).Brisson, the sole Democrat, bucked his party and voted with Republicans on key issues last session.
- The Information Technology subcommittee will be chaired by Representative Jason Saine (R-Lincoln).
- Chairing Justice & Public Safety will be Representatives Leo Daughtry (R-Johnston), Jamie Boles (R-Moore), Pat Hurley (R-Randolph) and John Faircloth (R-Guilford).
- Chairing Natural & Economic Resources will be Representatives Roger West (R-Cherokee) and Pat McElraft (R-Carteret).
Heading Transportation will be chaired by Representatives John Torbett (R-Gaston Gaston) and Phil Shepard (R-Onslow).