Hal Levinson is the co-head of Moore & Van Allen's corporate practice. Advising business clients on strategic decisions and complex transactions is the focus of his practice. He has in depth experience leading numerous multi-faceted transactions involving mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate finance projects in a variety of industries.
In addition, Mr. Levinson has advised a number of our high growth clients from their inception, handling multiple rounds of venture capital and private equity financing and guiding them through initial public offerings, debt offerings and strategic transactions. A number of these clients are in the health care and information technology sectors.
A particular focus of Mr. Levinson’s practice has been complex transactions for health care companies. His experience includes:
- Designing the legal structure for these clients and negotiating agreements with founders, initial investors and senior management.
- Numerous acquisitions and divestitures of hospitals around the U.S.
- Negotiating joint ventures between health care companies and physicians, including advising on all aspects of Stark and anti-kickback laws as they relate to those ventures.
- Electronic health records issues, including negotiation of EHR vendor agreements, compliance with meaningful use criteria and Stimulus Act incentives requirements.
- Representing health care clients in all aspects of their debt and equity transactions including private equity and venture capital financing, initial public offerings, debt offering and secured lending transactions.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Corporate "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2008-2023; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2008-2023; Health Care Law, 2023
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2006-2009 and 2011-2020
- NC Bar Association, Citizen Lawyers Award, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer
- Member, Board of Commissioners of Carolinas Healthcare System and its Finance and Compliance Committee
- Chairman of the Advisory Board, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Center for Jewish Studies
- Past President, Foundation for Shalom Park, a 50 acre campus which is home to Charlotte's major Jewish agencies, and chairman of its $42 million Endowment and Expansion campaign
- Past founding Board of Directors Member, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Past President and Board Member, Charlotte Jewish Community Center and Child Care Resources
- Law Clerk to Hon. James B. McMillan, United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1981-1982
- Hal A. Levinson among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Business North Carolina, 01.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar: Executive Committee, Past Member
J.D., University of Michigan, 1981
A.B., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1978, with honors; Phi Beta Kappa
- North Carolina, 1982