Van’s transactional practice includes intellectual property acquisition and licensing matters, technology transfer agreements, data security compliance, supply chain, and other commercial and technology transaction matters. Van also has significant experience managing a variety of intellectual property diligence matters in connection with M&A agreements, financial lending transactions, and restructuring matters. Drawing on his engineering experience and patent training, Van also advises clients in connection with patent preparation, patent prosecution, patent investigations, and product clearance involving a wide range of technologies across a variety of industries.
Before practicing law, Van held a position as a researcher in a state-of-the-art biomedical imaging lab at Vanderbilt University. Van’s research experience makes him knowledgeable about biomedical devices, pharmaceuticals, tumor physiology, and medical imaging.
Van graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law where he served as president of the Intellectual Property Society, as an editor on the Journal of International Law & Business, and as a law clerk for the University’s Office of Technology Commercialization.
- Biomedical devices
- Biomechanical rehabilitation devices
- Medical imaging
- Tumor physiology
- Blockchain technology
- Database management
- Sensor technologies
- Internet of Things (IOT) technologies
- Wearable technology
- Transaction processing
- User authentication
- Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law "Ones to Watch," 2021-2022
- Mistry N, Stokes AM, Van Gambrell J, Quarles CC. Nitrite Induces the Extravasation of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles in Hypoxic Tumor Tissue. NMR in biomedicine. 2014;27(4):425-430
- Smith DS, Li X, Gambrell JV, et al. Robustness of Quantitative Compressive Sensing MRI: The Effect of Random Undersampling Patterns on Derived Parameters for DCE- and DSC-MRI. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2012;31(2):504-511
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
J.D., University of South Carolina
B.E., Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
- North Carolina