John advises corporations and other business entities on a broad array of transactions, including cross-border transactions, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, recapitalizations, reorganizations, spin-offs, and other restructurings, as well as equity raises and corporate governance matters. For foreign clients, he advises on legal issues that impact their U.S.-based operations and facilities in today's highly competitive business environment. His practice includes particular emphasis on the structuring of joint ventures in limited liability companies and similar entities, and has involved domestic and international leveraged buyouts, real estate investments, and venture and growth capital investments.
John also serves as primary legal counsel for privately held U.S.-headquartered businesses as well as the U.S. operations of publicly traded internationally-headquartered businesses. In such capacity, John typically coordinates legal services performed by Moore & Van Allen as well as other external law firms and, if applicable, his client’s internal legal services department.
John’s real estate clients engage in various types of real estate projects (including the acquisition, sale and exchange, development, construction, and operation of medical office, office, retail, multi-family, and condominium properties) as well as leasing and property management services.
John’s experience with tax matters enables him to structure tax-efficient transactions for his clients, including the application and negotiation of state and municipal tax incentives for clients in North Carolina and Florida.
- Represented a publicly traded international telecommunications company in connection with the purchase of the stock of a U.S.-based telecommunications equipment company pursuant to a merger transaction
- Represented a publicly traded international battery company in the acquisition of the U.S., U.K. and German operations of a competitor battery manufacturer specializing in military, aerospace, and commercial applications
- Represented a privately held international chemical company in an equity investment in a chemical company specializing in sealant products for the international military and commercial aerospace and naval industries
- Represented a privately held international packaging company in the acquisition of the U.S. operations of a competitor packaging company specializing in the products for the food industry, with facilities and offices in seven U.S. states
- Represented a privately held real estate development and management company in the roll-up of business entities owning 53 medical office buildings throughout the southeastern United States in connection with its initial public offering
- Represented the largest Coca-Cola distributor in the United States in connection with the creation and operation of a joint venture with certain Coca-Cola distributors in North America to develop and provide such distributors with various uniform information technology system platforms
- Represented a privately held international consulting company in connection with the creation and operation of a U.S. joint venture to develop and provide services for the financial services industries in the United States and the European Union
- Represented a privately held international technology services company and its founders in connection with a growth capital equity raise from a private equity sponsor
- Represented a publicly traded international telecommunications company in connection with the contribution of its global optical-fiber business into an international joint venture headquartered in the Netherlands
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2022
- Knight of Magisterial Grace, Order of Malta, 2016-Present
- Executive Committee of the Parents Fund at the University of Virginia, 2018-Present
- Parents’ Committee at Cornell University, 2020-Present
- Volunteer, Committee for Annual Fund Leadership Gifts, Charlotte Country Day School, 2011-2019
- Parents’ Council at Lehigh University, 2013-2017
- Community Service Volunteer / Day Laborer for Habitat for Humanity construction projects, 1999, 2007 & 2015
- Board of Directors & Member of Executive Committee of Catholic Charities Diocese of Charlotte, 2000 to 2007
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
B.S., Lehigh University, 1987
J.D., Cornell Law School, 1990
LL.M.(Taxation), New York University School of Law, 1991
- Connecticut, 1991
- Florida, 1991
- New Jersey, 1991
- New York, 1991
- North Carolina, 1998