John's transactional practice is specific to:
- Intellectual property due diligence
- Intellectual property licensing and agreement work
- Intellectual property secured transactions
Additionally, his work experience includes managing copyrights, patents and trademarks (prosecution, advice, disputes, and transactions) in a variety of industries, Internet law, and intellectual property contentious matters (litigation, oppositions, and domain name disputes).
He focuses on the intellectual property aspects of transactions to ensure that clients' overall interests are advanced.
For example, on behalf of a lender client providing financing for a pharmaceutical industry acquisition, John identified and rectified numerous IP issues in the acquisition documents and the assets being acquired, enhancing the IP secured for the lender's benefit. In another matter involving an IP-centric corporate client seeking a new credit facility, John was able to resolve numerous errant or old liens recorded against its IP, clearing the way for the lender to provide the client with the necessary financing to sustain its business operations.
- Founding Member, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology at the University of Virginia
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- U.S. Patent Bar
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federalist Society
J.D., University of Virginia, Founder, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology
M.S., University of Virginia, Biology course work
B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Business Management
B.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Political Science
B.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Philosophy
- North Carolina
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Western District of North Carolina