- He represents equity investors and lenders in solar and other renewable energy facility financings.
- He represents equity investors and lessees in a variety of lease financings involving aircraft, railcars and other equipment.
- He provides tax and corporate law advice and counsel for closely-held businesses and tax-exempt organizations.
- He represents taxpayers in federal, state and local tax controversies.
Joyner has lectured and written on a variety of tax matters.
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2017, 2019-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Equipment Finance Law, 2007-2021; Tax Law, 2013- 2021
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2006-2009, 2012, 2014-2017, 2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Tax Law, 2006, 2008-2020
- Serves in several capacities in his church
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
- Business North Carolina, 01.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2018
- Super Lawyers, 01.2018
- Best Lawyers, 08.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.2017
- American Bar Association: Taxation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Tax Section, Chair, 1993-1994
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
A.B., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1977, with highest honors; Phi Beta Kappa
J.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1981
M.B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1981
- North Carolina, 1981
- Licensed as a Certified Public Accountant in North Carolina, 1982