- He represents equity investors and lenders in solar and other renewable energy facility financings.
- He represents equity investors and lessees in a variety of lease financings involving aircraft, railcars and other equipment.
- He provides tax and corporate law advice and counsel for closely-held businesses and tax-exempt organizations.
Joyner has lectured and written on a variety of tax matters.
- Best Lawyers in America, Charlotte Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2017, 2019-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Equipment Finance Law, 2007-2024; Tax Law, 2013- 2024
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Tax Law, 2006, 2008-2020
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, 2006-2009, 2012, 2014-2017, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer
- Serves in several capacities in his church
- Joseph "Jody" D. Joyner, Jr. among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
- American Bar Association: Taxation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Tax Section, Chair, 1993-1994