Laura regularly advises commercial real estate developers and other entities through the process of obtaining Brownfields agreements for redevelopment of contaminated properties, managing compliance with Brownfields agreements during construction and future use, and obtaining associated tax benefits. She also assists lenders and commercial real estate developers in transactions involving environmental issues such as underground storage tanks (USTs), hazardous substances and waste, and state petroleum and dry-cleaning programs.
In addition, Laura counsels manufacturers, lenders, retail industry and other corporate clients on a broad range of environmental risk and compliance issues. This work includes release investigation and remediation oversight, incident closure, environmental permitting, audits, reporting, and self-disclosure, defense of notices of violation and enforcement actions, waste and materials handling and disposal practices, stormwater and wastewater management issues, and other aspects of regulatory compliance across a variety of state and federal regulatory programs.
Laura also drafts contractual documentation and conducts environmental due diligence in corporate (stock and asset acquisitions) and real estate transactions including regulatory compliance of companies and potential environmental issues.
- Obtained numerous Brownfields agreements on behalf of clients redeveloping contaminated sites for high-density residential, commercial, retail, industrial, and other uses
- Guided lenders on environmental aspects of loan initiation, foreclosure, and bank-owned property portfolios
- Counseled clients on a broad variety of environmental subjects, including endangered species and wetlands issues, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) reviews, Section 401 water quality certifications, wastewater and stormwater discharge issues, hazardous and solid waste management, vapor intrusion issues, administration of North Carolina's Dry Cleaning Solvent Cleanup Act Program, issues involving underground and aboveground storage tanks and pre-regulatory landfills, environmental insurance and statutory environmental property transfer requirements
- Advised retail industry clients – including chain grocers and pharmacies, cosmetics manufacturers, and tobacco products producers – regarding the management, transportation, and disposal of hazardous waste, implementation of reverse distribution systems, permitting, building and improving hazardous waste management programs, and negotiating and settling notices of violation of compliance claims with state and federal regulators
- Assisted renewable energy developers and investors on environmental issues in connection with large-scale renewable energy project portfolios
- Advocated on behalf of retail industry clients by preparing comments on EPA and other federal rulemakings, especially those involving hazardous and pharmaceutical waste regulation
- Advised apartment developer regarding the acquisition and redevelopment of a pre-regulatory landfill with methane emissions concerns as a multi-family residential apartment community
- Represented non-profit land conservation organization regarding environmental issues related to property and conservation easement transactions
Member, North Carolina Bar Association, Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Section, Section Newsletter Editor, 2016-2019; Section Council, 2021-present
- Member, Land Acquisition Committee, Catawba Lands Conservancy, 2021-present
- Member, Education Grants Committee, Women's Impact Fund, 2018-present
- Member, Law School Advisory Board, and Alumni Outreach Committee, University of Richmond Law School, 2016-present
Member, S.O.S. Gala Planning Committee, The Foundation for Tomorrow, 2014-present