Sam is an experienced litigator who handles complex intellectual property disputes, primarily focusing on patent and trademark litigation before district courts, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and the U.S. International Trade Commission. Sam also counsels clients on enforcement and management of their trademark portfolios, often representing their interests before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
He received his J.D. from Michigan State University, a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Penn State, and a B.S. in nuclear engineering from Penn State.
- Represented one of the nation's most prestigious professional golf tournaments, representing the client on trademark enforcement issues and advising it on global trademark portfolio management issues
- Represented a global chemical manufacturing and engineering company in offensive district court litigation against a distributor of chemical products
- Represented a water heater manufacturer to defend against false advertising claims against a competitor in district court litigation
- Represented a universal remote manufacturer as respondent in ITC action against a competitor
- Represented a leading manufacturer of flooring products against a competitor in USPTO proceedings
- Represented a national drywall manufacturer in district court litigation and USPTO proceedings relating to additives used in drywall manufacturing
- Represented a global cellular infrastructure equipment supplier as an intervenor in eight co-pending district court cases and USPTO proceedings relating to 4G network infrastructure and devices
- Represented complainant Nokia against Apple in ITC action involving cellular device design and operation
- Represented a global automotive supplier in patent litigation against a manufacturer of personal navigation devices in the Eastern District of Michigan
- Represented a leading manufacturer of retail merchandise security systems against an importer of foreign goods in the Northern District of Texas
- Board Member, Tosco Music