While with the Department of Revenue, Canaan assumed primary responsibility for all legal matters affecting the Department. He advised Secretary David W. Hoyle and other senior Department management on overall operations, strategic focus, and issues related to tax policy and law. He specifically focused on developing policy with respect to emerging industries, and applying existing law to unique factual situations.
Prior to joining the Department of Revenue, Canaan worked at the North Carolina General Assembly for 12 years. He has extensive experience drafting legislation and managing the committee process. Canaan focused on tax and economic development and was heavily involved in the creation or modification of every major economic development program over the past decade. He was a recognized leader in this field and presented at several national conferences.
With Moore & Van Allen, Canaan concentrates on representing clients before the North Carolina General Assembly and various North Carolina state agencies. Canaan also works closely with clients on compliance with laws and regulations with respect to campaign finance and government ethics.
- Triangle Business Journal “40 Under 40” winner, 2010
- Lawyers Weekly "In-House Leaders in the Law" winner, 2010
- Board of Directors, Hope Center at Pullen, 2019-present
Deacons Council, Pullen Memorial Baptist Church, 2016
- Board of Directors, Alliance of AIDS Services-Carolina, 2006-2010
- Board of Directors, Equality North Carolina, 2011-2012
- Board of Directors, Equality North Carolina PAC, 2011-2012
- February 2020
Canaan has published articles on local sales tax distribution and transportation funding.
- Yours, Mine, and Ours: North Carolina Sales Tax Allocations, State Tax Notes
- Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?, State Tax Notes
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1997
M.B.A., Duke University Fuqua School of Business, 1997
B.S., Wake Forest University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1993
- North Carolina, 1998