Barrett has over seven years of experience working at Wall Street and other large US banks, and brings that experience to provide legal guidance on OTC and exchange trades swaps, options, futures and other derivatives, including related guidance on debt and capital market activities. In this capacity, Barrett assists clients with both their regulatory and document needs, including the review and negotiation of ISDA documentation, credit support annexes and other collateral documents, long-form confirmations, futures account agreements and clearing related documentation.
Barrett helps clients understand the practical front office, operational, and compliance requirements associated with building, maintaining, and improving a swap sales and trading program. Barrett also advises on affiliate derivative transactions and the permissibility of complex and novel derivative transactions.
Barrett leverages his past in-house and compliance experiences to strategically advise clients through regulatory investigations and exams. In prior roles within banks, Barrett advised senior management, governance committees, business and operations groups, and risk and compliance groups on compliance with Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act, Commodity Exchange Act, Investment Company Act, and prudential banking regulations promulgated by Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
- Mecklenburg County Bar YLD Lawyer of the Year, 2020
- Board of Directors, Mecklenburg Bar Foundation, Class of 2025
- Member Board of Directors, Mecklenburg County Bar, 2017- 2020
- Chair, Mecklenburg County Bar, Young Lawyer Division, 2018 - 2019
- Volunteer Attorney, Council For Children's Rights, 2014 - present
- Barrett Morris, John Stoker and Ed Ivey author Westlaw article: CFPB issues proposed rule to require nonbank registration and public registry of terms and conditions in form contracts02.2023
- Barrett Morris, John Lightbourne and Ed Ivey author Westlaw article: The CFPB has entered the ring and makes clear moves to regulate nonbank digital asset activities11.2022
Blogs and Resources
- MVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 01.30.2023
- States Look to Impose Financing Disclosure Requirements on Commercial Loans and the CFPB Considers Potential TILA Preemption ConsiderationsMVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 01.11.2023
- Risks Associated with Cryptocurrency Activities Continue to be Top-of-Mind for Federal Banking RegulatorsMVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 08.27.2022
- MVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 08.17.2022
- MVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 08.11.2022
J.D., Charlotte School of Law, 2012
B.A., George Mason University, 2008
- North Carolina, 2013
- United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina