Fielding’s primary practice areas are complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense. He also has significant experience in internal investigations, regulatory compliance, and other regulatory matters. His clients span banking, insurance, energy, and health care, among other industries.
As a former enforcement attorney for the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS), Fielding assisted in running investigations of wide-ranging banking and insurance practices, including with relation to mortgage lending, lender-placed insurance, and monitor-ship compliance. In private practice in both New York and North Carolina, Fielding has successfully represented several individuals and businesses at all stages of litigation in state and federal court, as well as in government enforcement actions brought by the SEC, CFTC, FINRA, and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices.
Fielding prides himself on his persuasive writing abilities and creative advocacy techniques. He attributes part of his writing and advocacy success to his several-year career in public-policy lobbying and organizing before he enrolled in law school.
- Succeeded on a preliminary injunction to secure approximately $2.8 million in property on behalf of a large insurance company. Clear Blue Ins., Co. v. Amigo MGA, LLC, No. 3:20-cv-312-GCM, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 108205, at *1, W.D.N.C., 2020
- Secured a motion to dismiss of all claims alleging several million dollars in damages against a major solar developer. Sun8 PDC, LLC vs. Scott Pinney and Dynamic Energy Solutions, LLC Index No. EF2017-0241, N.Y., 2018
- Played an instrumental role in preparing a winning brief and presentation to the SEC in response to a “Wells” call—i.e., the SEC staff’s formal notice of its intention to charge a violation of securities laws. As a result, the SEC, declined to charge the client with several counts of municipal bond fraud, 2017-2018
- Helped secure two significant settlements in a fraud action brought on behalf of an insured individual against an insurance agent and two major insurance companies, 2020
- Assisted in successfully fending off charges from federal prosecutors against an individual client in connection with the notorious Fyre Festival, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation "Ones to Watch," 2021
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
Blogs and Resources
- Trump Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh, could play role in reshaping major securities fraud enforcement toolMVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 09.2018
- Co-author, Litigation Involving Asset Protection Trusts: Practical and Legal Considerations, presented to the American Bar Association, 31st Annual Real Property, Trusts & Estates National CLE Conference, Boston, Mass., May 2019
- Co-author, "Trump Supreme Court Pick, Brett Kavanaugh, Could Play Role in Reshaping Major Securities Fraud Enforcement Tool", MVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, September 2018
- Co-author, "A Brief Survey: The Do's and Don't of Yellowstone Injunctions," The New York Law Journal, November 2017
B.A., Loyola University of Maryland, 2003
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2014
- New York, 2015
- Southern District of New York, 2017
- North Carolina, 2018
- Western District of North Carolina, 2018
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 2018
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2018