Fielding’s primary practice areas are complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense. He also has significant experience in internal investigations, regulatory compliance, and other regulatory matters. His clients span banking, insurance, energy, and health care, among other industries.
As a former enforcement attorney for the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS), Fielding assisted in running investigations of wide-ranging banking and insurance practices, including with relation to mortgage lending, lender-placed insurance, and monitor-ship compliance. In private practice in both New York and North Carolina, Fielding has successfully represented several individuals and businesses at all stages of litigation in state and federal court, as well as in government enforcement actions brought by the SEC, CFTC, FINRA, and U.S. Attorneys’ Offices.
Fielding prides himself on his persuasive writing abilities and creative advocacy techniques. He attributes part of his writing and advocacy success to his several-year career in public-policy lobbying and organizing before he enrolled in law school.
- Succeeded on a preliminary injunction to secure approximately $2.8 million in funds on behalf of a large insurance company. Clear Blue Ins., Co. v. Amigo MGA, LLC, No. 3:20-cv-312-GCM, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 108205, at *1, W.D.N.C., 2020.
- Secured a motion to dismiss all claims alleging several million dollars in damages against a major solar developer. Sun8 PDC, LLC vs. Scott Pinney and Dynamic Energy Solutions, LLC Index No. EF2017-0241, N.Y., 2018.
- Played an instrumental role in preparing a persuasive brief submitted to the SEC in response to a “Wells” call—i.e., the SEC staff’s formal notice of its intention to charge a violation of securities laws. As a result, the SEC declined to charge the client with several counts of municipal bond fraud, 2017-2018.
- Helped secure two significant settlements in a fraud action by an insured individual against an insurance agent and two major insurance companies, 2020.
- Assisted in successfully fending off charges from federal prosecutors against an individual with involvement in with the notorious Fyre Festival, 2017.
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation "Ones to Watch," 2021-2023; Criminal Defense: White-Collar "Ones to Watch," 2022-2023
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-2021
- Fielding E. Huseth among Moore & Van Allen team who Secures Acquittal for Client in High-Profile Federal Criminal Antitrust Case07.2022
- Fielding E. Huseth among MVA Litigation Attorneys named to the American Lawyer’s Runners Up for Litigators of the Week07.2022
- Fielding E. Huseth among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Fielding E. Huseth among the Twenty-six Moore & Van Allen Attorneys Named to the 2018 NC Pro Bono Honor Society04.2019
Blogs and Resources
- Trump Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh, could play role in reshaping major securities fraud enforcement toolMVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, 09.2018
- Co-author, Litigation Involving Asset Protection Trusts: Practical and Legal Considerations, presented to the American Bar Association, 31st Annual Real Property, Trusts & Estates National CLE Conference, Boston, Mass., May 2019
- Co-author, "Trump Supreme Court Pick, Brett Kavanaugh, Could Play Role in Reshaping Major Securities Fraud Enforcement Tool", MVA White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Regulatory Advice Blog, September 2018
- Co-author, "A Brief Survey: The Do's and Don't of Yellowstone Injunctions," The New York Law Journal, November 2017
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2014
B.A., Loyola University of Maryland, 2003
- North Carolina, 2018
- Western District of North Carolina, 2018
- Eastern District of North Carolina, 2018
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2018
- Southern District of New York, 2017
- New York, 2015