We take a proactive approach to labor and employment relations by understanding each client's business objectives, identifying risks, and assisting in developing strategies to achieve those objectives. We provide management training and policy development. We advise clients daily on responses to labor and employment issues. Our combination of education, guidance, and prevention support results in significant cost savings, as well as establishing a more productive workplace.
Litigation is a daily reality in the HR sphere. We are there to support our clients with decades of experience positioning to negotiate a satisfactory resolution or, if necessary, fighting for the best possible outcome in the courts or in arbitration.
Our Employment and Labor group has extensive experience in a wide range of federal and state statutory, regulatory, and common law rules that govern employer/employee relations.
We regularly represent clients from coast to coast in various state and federal courts, as well as before administrative bodies -- handling claims of unfair labor practices, discrimination, sexual harassment, employee misclassification and pay disputes, wage and hour disputes, wrongful termination, workers' compensation, denial of benefits, fiduciary liability, and employment contract disputes.
Our attorneys also represent companies in complex employment litigation involving class actions, collective actions, and actions concerning unfair competition, employee non-compete, nonsolicitation, and confidentiality covenants, as well as trade secret, tortious interference, and employee raiding claims.
Because we are part of a full service law firm, our clients also receive the benefit of the experience of attorneys in our employee benefits, immigration, corporate, and tax groups when any of these issues arises in an employment matter.
Our group takes great pride in working closely with our clients both on and off-site to provide the legal assistance needed in today's ever-changing labor and employment scene. Our experience gives us the ability to anticipate and provide solutions in every aspect of the employment relationship.
Federal and State Employment & Labor Regulation
- National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)
- Equal Pay Act (EPA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA)
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Executive Order 11246
Anti-Discrimination Management & Litigation
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
Benefits & Retirement
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
Trade Secrets and Data Protection & Whistleblowers
- Uniform Trade Secret Act (UTSA)
- Computer Fraud & Abuse Act (CFAA)
- Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower provisions
- October 2020
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- MVA Attorneys Among 2021 Legal Elite in Charleston Business Magazine, Columbia Business Monthly, and Greenville Business Magazine08.2021
- Super Lawyers, 01.2021
- Business North Carolina, 01.2021
- U.S. News & World Report , November 2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.2020
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Business North Carolina, 01.2020
- U.S. News & World Report, 11.2019
- Best Lawyers, 08.2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 11.2018
- Moore & Van Allen recognized by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers with top-tier ‘Best Law Firms’ rankings11.2018
- Best Lawyers, 08.2018
- Business North Carolina, 01.2018
- Best Lawyers, 08.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.2017
- Westlaw, 12.2019
Blogs and Resources
- 04.2020MVA COVID-19 Resource Center
- Data Points: Privacy & Data Security Blog, 08.2021