Randy's 11 years away from the firm, serving as general counsel for a fast-growth energy developer and as co-founder of a start-up energy operation, gave him client-side perspective and insight into management issues, including cost-effective management of legal services.
He represents lenders and developers in all aspects of energy financing projects, such as renewable energy (wind, solar, hydro, and ethanol energy) and conventional fuels (coal and natural gas). His lending experience extends to healthcare, environmental, and equipment-leasing projects. He also handles general contract, transactional, and corporate matters for his clients.
Recent cases include the acquisition of a multi-state wind power operation, where he arranged major long-term financing and analyzed credit risks in a changing regulatory environment. He also managed the U.S. side of a stock acquisition of a privately-held U.S.-based corporation by a large Canadian public company, which involved a full range of corporate due diligence, third party consents and change-in-control issues.
Randy’s client service areas include:
- Business transactions/contract law
- Secured lending
- Project finance
- Equipment/project leasing
- Renewable energy development
- Electricity regulation
- Project restructuring
- Former vice president of development, secretary and general counsel, Cogentrix Energy, Inc., assisting in the financial and legal structuring of over $900 million in successful financings of independent power projects and project negotiations in Puerto Rico, Mexico, India and the Philippines
- Co-founder, Peregrine Energy Corporation
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
J.D., Yale University, 1981
A.B., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1977; Phi Beta Kappa
- North Carolina, 1983
- New York, 1982