For over 20 years – including eight years as in-house counsel for a large national health care company – Carol Bowen has focused exclusively on representation of health care providers and other stakeholders in the health care industry.
Her legal knowledge, coupled with a practical and responsive approach, helps clients achieve their business goals within the complex health law framework. Her representative engagements in the area of Privacy and Data Security include:
- Creating record retention programs for national and regional healthcare provider clients, including retention of data on electronic media;
- Development of HIPAA privacy and security forms and policies for health care clients.
- Advice to health care provider clients on data breach matters involving potential violations of HIPAA and state privacy laws governing protected health information and financial data, including required reporting to patients, the media, and applicable state and federal agencies and interaction with US DHHS Office for Civil Rights and state attorneys general.
- Advice on HIPAA and other data privacy and security issues involved in the negotiation of agreements with cloud service providers and other vendors who access and handle PHI and other personal and financial data.
- Advice on HIPAA issues in connection with clinical research studies.
Ms. Bowen leads the Firm’s Health Law practice in the Charlotte office. She is a frequent speaker for client and industry groups on health care issues and has served as an editorial consultant to several health care publications.
- Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2013-2023
- Chambers USA - North Carolina, Healthcare, 2014-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell, North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2009-2023
- Charlotte Business Journal, Women in Business Award Winner, 2013
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Top 50 Women North Carolina, 2011
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee of Charlotte Community Health Clinic, 2016-2022
- Women’s’ Impact Fund 2006 - 2021
- Board of Directors of Charlotte Speech and Hearing Center, 2014-2020, Board Chair, 2019-2020
- Member and Vice Chair, Membership, American Bar Association Health Law Section, 2010-2011
- Served on the Health Law Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association, 1999-2002
- Carol Ewald Bowen among Moore & Van Allen attorneys named to 2023 North Carolina Super Lawyers or Rising Stars lists01.2023
- Carol Ewald Bowen among 104 MVA attorneys recognized in Best Lawyers in America 2023, and eleven MVA attorneys named ‘Lawyer of the Year’08.2022
- Carol Ewald Bowen among Twenty-eight Moore & Van Allen attorneys recognized by Super Lawyers for 202201.2022
- Best Lawyers® recognizes 96 Moore & Van Allen attorneys - Eight attorneys named “Lawyer of the Year”08.2021
- Super Lawyers, 01.2021
- Best Lawyers, 08.2020
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2020
- Super Lawyers, 01.2020
- Chambers & Partners, 04.2019
- Super Lawyers, 01.2019
Blogs and Resources
- CMS Announces Reevaluation of Accelerated Payment Program Payments; Suspends Advance Payments to Part B Suppliers04.2020MVA COVID-19 Resource Center
- Summary of North Carolina Governor's April 8, 2020 Executive Order 130 - Meeting North Carolina's Health and Human Services Needs – Including Waiver of Certain Certificate of Need Requirements04.2020MVA COVID-19 Resource Center
- Summary of The Centers For Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Temporary Regulatory Waivers and New Rules Affording Additional Flexibilities to the U.S. Healthcare System during the Covid-19 Pandemic03.2020MVA COVID-19 Resource Center
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association: Business Law Section, Health Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Health Law Section
- Quoted in Law360 on January 2, 2015 in the article “Life Sciences Legislation and Regulation to Watch in 2015.”
- Panelist on “Health Care of the Future” at the Charlotte Business Journal’s 4th annual Excellence in Health Care Awards on September 16, 2014.
- Speaker, “Practical Advice from the MedCath Experience,” American Health Lawyers Association, Health Care Transactions program, April 2014
- Panelist discussing laws affecting the business goals of healthcare companies, hospitals and physician groups, “Investing in the New Healthcare Frontier,” Charlotte, NC February, 2014
- Co-presenter, Healthcare Reform Update 2012, January 2012, Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Presenter, Health Care Symposium, September 2009, sponsored by Moore & Van Allen, PLLC and LarsonAllen, LLP
- Participant, American Health Lawyers Association Masters Program, “Improving Quality and Bonding with Physicians: A Health System Case Study,” May 2009
- Speaker, "Update on Long Term Care Hospitals from the Provider and Government Perspective," Washington Healthcare Summit, American Bar Association, Health Law Section, November 2003
- Speaker, "Recognizing Pitfalls in Clinical Research from the Physician and Hospital Perspective," Current Issues in Health Law, North Carolina Bar Association Health Law Section Annual Meeting, April 2002
J.D., Vanderbilt University, 1984
B.A., Duke University, 1979
Middlebury College, 1978
- North Carolina, 1997
- Massachusetts, 1985